The garage door is often an overlooked aspect of a home’s exterior. However, it plays a crucial role in both functionality and aesthetics.
If you’re considering upgrading your garage door, opting for a double garage door with windows can be a wise choice.
In this article I’ll cover everything you need to know about double garage doors with windows, including styles, prices, materials, installation, maintenance, and how to decorate them to increase your home’s curb appeal.
What is a Double Garage Door with Windows?
A double garage door with windows, also known as a garage door with windows, is a garage door that incorporates one or more windows into its design.
These windows are strategically placed to allow natural light to enter the garage, enhancing the overall look and feel of the space.
They can be installed in various configurations, from small, rectangular windows at the top of the door to larger, full-panel windows.
What are the Benefits of Having a Double Garage Door with Windows?
1. Enhanced Aesthetics
The primary benefit of double garage doors with windows is the boost in curb appeal. They can significantly enhance the exterior look of your home.
2. Natural Light
Windows in the garage door allow natural light to illuminate the interior, reducing the need for artificial lighting during the day.
3. Improved Ventilation
If the windows can be opened, they can provide ventilation for your garage, making it a more comfortable workspace.
4. Increased Property Value
A well-designed double garage door with windows can increase the overall value of your home.
Types of Double Garage Doors with Windows
1. Sectional Doors
Sectional doors are the most popular choice in North America. They consist of multiple panels that are hinged together and open vertically, sliding up and under the garage roof.
These doors can be constructed from materials like steel, wood, and fiberglass. When it comes to windows, sectional doors offer extensive customization options, including size, placement, and the type of glass.
2. Roll-up Doors
Roll-up doors are characterized by a single panel that rolls up and down, much like a window shade. Typically made of aluminum or steel, roll-up doors are especially suitable for garages with limited headroom.
These doors can also be customized with various window options to match your preferences.
3. Side-Hinged Doors
Side-hinged doors are a traditional choice, swinging open and closed like regular doors.
These doors are primarily constructed from wood or fiberglass and can be personalized with diverse window options, including choices related to size, placement, and the type of glass.
4. Tilt-up Doors
Tilt-up doors are one-piece doors that pivot up and over the garage opening. While not as common as sectional or roll-up doors, they can be practical for garages with limited headroom. However, tilt-up doors cannot be customized with windows.
Window Options for Double Garage Doors
Choosing the right windows for your double garage door is crucial as it significantly impacts both the aesthetics and functionality of the door. Some common window options include:
- Clear Glass: Clear glass windows allow abundant natural light into your garage, brightening the space.
- Frosted Glass: Frosted glass windows provide some natural light while also ensuring privacy.
- Tinted Glass: Tinted glass windows reduce heat and glare, making your garage more comfortable.
- Mirrored Glass: Mirrored glass windows offer privacy and can reflect light back into your garage.
- Obscure Glass: Obscure glass is designed to be difficult to see through, making it an excellent choice for areas where privacy is essential.
What are the Different Materials Used to Make Double Garage Doors with Windows?
Double garage doors with windows can be constructed from various materials, each offering distinct advantages:
- Steel: Steel doors are known for their durability and low maintenance. They can be insulated for energy efficiency.
- Wood: Wooden doors provide a classic, natural look and can be customized with various window designs.
- Aluminum: Aluminum doors are lightweight and resistant to corrosion, making them ideal for coastal regions.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass doors are low-maintenance, durable, and can mimic the appearance of wood.
Choosing the Right Double Garage Door with Windows for Your Needs
What Size Double Garage Door with Windows Do You Need?
To determine the appropriate size for your double garage door, measure the opening of your garage accurately. Double garage doors are typically 16 feet wide, but the height can vary based on the needs of your specific garage.
What Type of Windows Do You Want in Your Double Garage Door?
The choice of windows depends on your preferred style and the desired level of natural light. Common window types include clear glass, frosted glass, or decorative glass with patterns.
What Material Do You Want Your Double Garage Door with Windows to Be Made Of?
Consider your climate, budget, and aesthetic preferences when choosing a material. Steel and aluminum doors are low-maintenance, while wood and fiberglass provide a more traditional appearance.
What Style of Double Garage Door with Windows Do You Want?
Select a style that complements your home’s architecture and your personal taste. The style you choose will significantly impact the overall appearance of your home.
Installing a Double Garage Door with Windows
Installing a double garage door with windows is a complex task best left to professionals. However, if you’re experienced with home improvement, here’s a general outline of the process:
How to Prepare for Installation
- Clear the area around the garage door.
- Disconnect the power source to the garage door opener.
- Gather the necessary tools and materials.
How to Install the Door Frame
- Remove the old garage door.
- Assemble the door frame.
- Secure the frame to the garage opening.
How to Install the Door Panels
- Attach the door panels to the frame.
- Install the hinges and rollers.
- Ensure that the door is level and plumb.
How to Install the Windows
- Carefully insert the windows into the designated slots.
- Secure the windows in place.
- Check for proper alignment and sealing.
How to Finish the Installation
- Connect the garage door opener and test the functionality.
- Apply weatherstripping for insulation.
- Make any necessary adjustments to ensure smooth operation.
Maintaining a Double Garage Door with Windows
To keep your double garage door with windows in top condition, follow these maintenance steps:
How to Clean the Door
Regularly clean the door using a mild detergent and water. Avoid abrasive materials that may scratch the windows.
How to Lubricate the Hinges and Rollers
Apply a silicone-based lubricant to the hinges and rollers to keep the door operating smoothly.
How to Inspect the Door for Damage
Regularly inspect the door for signs of wear, damage, or warping. Address any issues promptly to prevent further damage.
How to Repair Common Problems
If you encounter issues like misalignment, damaged windows, or problems with the opener, contact a professional for repairs.
Decorating a Double Garage Door with Windows
Enhancing the visual appeal of your double garage door with windows can significantly impact your home’s overall aesthetic. Here are some key considerations and tips on how to make your garage door a stunning focal point:
How to Choose the Right Paint Color
Selecting the appropriate paint color for your double garage door is a crucial decision. The color should harmonize with your home’s exterior while adding a touch of style.
Here are some steps to help you make the right choice:
- Consider Your Home’s Color Scheme: Start by assessing the color palette of your home’s exterior. The garage door should either complement or contrast with the existing colors. For a cohesive look, choose a shade that matches the trim, siding, or other architectural elements.
- Test Swatches: It’s a good idea to obtain paint swatches or samples of the colors you’re considering. Test them against your garage door, preferably at different times of the day, to see how the natural light affects the appearance.
- Take Inspiration from Your Neighborhood: Observe the color choices of neighboring homes. While you want your garage door to stand out, you also want it to fit into the neighborhood’s overall aesthetic.
- Consider Your Personal Style: Reflect on your personal style and preferences. Do you prefer a classic, timeless look, or are you more inclined towards modern and bold choices? Your garage door color should be an extension of your taste.
- Consult a Professional: If you’re unsure about which color to choose, consider consulting with a professional designer or a paint specialist. They can provide valuable insights based on your home’s architecture and location.
How to Add Hardware and Accessories
Incorporating decorative hardware and accessories can transform your double garage door from ordinary to extraordinary.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Handles and Hinges: Consider adding handles and hinges to your garage door. These can mimic the appearance of carriage-style doors, adding a touch of rustic charm or classic elegance, depending on your chosen style. Handles and hinges can be found in various finishes, including black, bronze, or brushed nickel, allowing you to match them with other elements of your home’s exterior.
- Decorative Windows: If your garage door already includes windows, you can enhance their visual impact with decorative elements. Stained glass or leaded glass panels can create a unique and artistic look. Alternatively, window grilles and overlays can add character and charm to plain glass.
- Outdoor Lighting: Outdoor lighting fixtures, such as wall sconces or lanterns, can illuminate your garage door, making it a focal point, even at night. Choose lighting styles that match the overall theme of your home.
- House Numbers and Monograms: House numbers and monograms can be both functional and decorative. They help guests find your home while adding a personalized touch to your garage door.
How to Coordinate the Door with Your Home’s Exterior Design
Ensuring that your double garage door seamlessly blends with your home’s architectural style is essential.
Here are some ways to achieve coordination:
- Match Roofing and Siding: Consider coordinating the color and style of your garage door with the roofing material and siding of your home. A consistent theme will tie the entire exterior together.
- Architectural Features: Take cues from the architectural features of your home. If you have decorative trim, moldings, or other unique elements, incorporate these into the garage door’s design.
- Landscape Integration: Landscaping can be a powerful tool for visual integration. Planting flowers, shrubs, or trees near the garage can create a harmonious connection between the door and your home’s exterior.
- Balance and Proportion: Ensure that the size and design of your garage door align with the proportions of your home. An oversized or undersized garage door can disrupt the overall visual balance.
Investing in a double garage door with windows is a smart choice for homeowners seeking to enhance their home’s curb appeal, functionality, and overall value.
By carefully considering factors like style, materials, and maintenance, you can choose the perfect garage door that complements your home and personal preferences.
Whether you’re installing a new door or upgrading an existing one, the benefits of a double garage door with windows are bound to make a significant difference in the look and feel of your home.
Make the right choice for your property and elevate your home’s appearance with a stunning double garage door with windows.