A high lift kit is a practical and versatile modification that can be applied to your garage door, offering numerous benefits to homeowners.
Increasing the headroom available allows for more convenient and efficient use of the garage space. It accommodates taller vehicles, making it an ideal choice for those with limited ceiling space or those who own larger vehicles.
In this article, we will delve into the world of high lift kits, exploring the various types available, the factors to consider when selecting the right kit, the components included, and the installation process.
We will also discuss the substantial benefits homeowners can enjoy by investing in a high lift kit for their garage doors.
What is a High Lift Kit?
A high lift kit is a set of components designed to modify a standard garage door, enabling it to open and close at a higher position than before.
This is achieved by extending the tracks that guide the door’s movement and incorporating stronger springs and cables to handle the increased load.
The result is a significant increase in headroom, making it easier to maneuver vehicles and access storage in the garage.
Types of High Lift Kits
There are two main types of high lift kits available on the market:
- Standard High Lift Kits: These kits are suitable for most standard garage doors and can increase headroom by approximately 12 to 18 inches. They are ideal for homeowners with relatively lightweight garage doors or those looking for a moderate increase in headroom.
- Heavy-Duty High Lift Kits: If you have a heavier garage door or require a more substantial increase in headroom, the heavy-duty high lift kit is the better option. These kits can provide up to 36 inches of additional headroom, making them suitable for larger vehicles or garages with low ceilings.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a High Lift Kit
Selecting the right high lift kit for your garage door involves considering several important factors:
- Garage Ceiling Height: Measure the height of your garage ceiling to determine the amount of headroom you require. This will help you choose between the standard and heavy-duty high lift kits.
- Garage Door Weight: The weight of your garage door is crucial in selecting the appropriate high lift kit. For heavier doors, a heavy-duty kit is essential to ensure smooth and reliable operation.
- Garage Door Opener Compatibility: Some high lift kits may not be compatible with certain types of garage door openers. Verify that the kit you choose works seamlessly with your existing opener system.
Components of a High Lift Kit
A typical high lift kit includes the following components:
- Extended Tracks: The tracks, responsible for guiding the garage door’s movement, are extended to allow for the increased height.
- Stronger Springs: The kit includes robust springs capable of providing the necessary force to lift the door to a higher position securely.
- Extended Cables: The cables responsible for raising and lowering the garage door are also extended to accommodate the new height.
How to Measure for a High Lift Kit
Accurate measurements are crucial when preparing to install a high lift kit. Follow these steps to ensure proper sizing:
- Measure Garage Ceiling Height: Measure the distance from the floor to the ceiling at various points in the garage to account for any variations.
- Measure Garage Door Width: Determine the width of your garage door, as it will affect the selection of the extended tracks.
- Measure Garage Door Opener Height: Measure the height of your garage door opener to ensure it will not interfere with the high lift kit.
How to Install a High Lift Kit
While the installation process may vary slightly depending on the manufacturer, the general steps for installing a high lift kit are as follows:
- Remove Old Tracks and Springs: Carefully disassemble and remove the existing tracks and springs from the garage door.
- Install Extended Tracks and Springs: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the extended tracks and stronger springs in place.
- Adjust the Garage Door Opener: Ensure that the garage door opener is adjusted to accommodate the increased height of the door.
Benefits of Installing a High Lift Kit
Investing in a high lift kit for your garage door can yield several valuable benefits:
- Increased Headroom: One of the primary advantages of a high lift kit is the significant increase in headroom. This added space allows for the smooth entry and exit of taller vehicles and provides easier access to storage items in the garage.
- Enhanced Access: With a high lift kit, accessing your garage becomes more convenient, especially if you own a vehicle with a high roof or if you have mobility issues. The improved clearance also makes it easier to load and unload items from your vehicle.
- Improved Safety: By elevating the garage door’s height, a high lift kit reduces the risk of head injuries and damages that may occur when vehicles or individuals come in contact with the door.
A high lift kit is an indispensable investment that can transform the functionality of your garage door. By offering increased headroom, improved access, and enhanced safety, it becomes a valuable addition to any home.
When considering a high lift kit, remember to measure your garage accurately and choose the kit that best suits your specific needs.
By making a well-informed decision, you can optimize garage space and enjoy the convenience and benefits a high lift kit has to offer.