If you are looking for ways to enhance the look of your garage, you may want to consider painting your garage cabinets.
A fresh coat of paint can give your garage cabinets a new lease of life and enhance the aesthetic appeal of your garage.
In this article, we will be sharing some creative DIY ideas on garage cabinet paint that can help you transform your garage into a beautiful and functional space.
Advantages of Painting Garage Cabinets
Painting your garage cabinets can offer several benefits. Here are some of them:
- Adds aesthetic value to your garage
- Protects cabinets from moisture, dirt, and scratches
- Enhances the overall functionality of your garage
- Can increase the resale value of your home
Types of Paint for Garage Cabinets
Choosing the right type of paint is essential for the durability and longevity of your garage cabinets. Here are some options to consider:
- Latex Paint: A water-based paint that is easy to apply, dries quickly, and has a low odor. It is ideal for cabinets made of wood or MDF (medium-density fiberboard).
- Oil-Based Paint: A solvent-based paint that is highly durable and provides a hard, protective surface. It is best for metal or wooden cabinets.
- Epoxy Paint: A two-part paint that is highly durable and resistant to stains, moisture, and chemicals. It is perfect for metal cabinets or surfaces that receive heavy traffic.
Preparing Cabinets for Painting
Before you start painting your garage cabinets, it’s essential to prepare them correctly. Here are some steps to follow:
- Remove all items from the cabinets.
- Clean the cabinets thoroughly using a degreaser or a mixture of warm water and soap.
- Sand the surface of the cabinets to remove any existing paint or varnish.
- Fill any cracks or holes with wood filler and let it dry completely.
- Sand the cabinets again to ensure a smooth surface.
- Apply a coat of primer to help the paint adhere better.
5 Best Garage Cabinet Paint Ideas
- Best Overall: Farrow & Ball Full Gloss Paint
- Best Acrylic: Beyond All-in-One Furniture Paint
- Best Budget: AcrylicRust-Oleum Transformations Cabinet Paint
- Best Alkyd: Behr Premium Hybrid Urethane Alkyd Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint
- Best Oil-Based: Behr Oil-Base Semi-Gloss Enamel Interior/Exterior Paint
1. Best Overall: Farrow & Ball Full Gloss Paint
Best Overall Farrow & Ball Full Gloss Paint is the perfect paint for any surface – cabinets, doors, walls, etc. It has a great finish that will last and provides an excellent level of protection against dirt and water damage.
Additionally, it contains no VOCs which makes it environmentally friendly. So if you’re looking for the best overall paint option then Best Overall Farrow & Ball Full Gloss Paint is definitely the one to choose!
2. Best Acrylic: Beyond All-in-One Furniture Paint
Don’t be afraid to update your old garage cabinet paint ideas with the help of acrylic beyond all-in-one furniture paint. This product comes in a wide range of colors and can be used on wood, metal, glass, and more, making it the perfect solution for a variety of DIY projects.
Moreover, Acrylic Beyond All-in-One Furniture Paint is highly durable and long-lasting – perfect for any surface! So don’t wait anymore – order your paint today and get started on some fun DIY projects!
3. Best Budget: AcrylicRust-Oleum Transformations Cabinet Paint
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option to spruce up your old storage garage cabinet paint ideas with some new paint, acrylic or rust-oleum transformations might be a perfect choice.
Available in many different colors, these paints are easy to apply and can be used on any kind of cabinet – inside or out! Plus, their long-lasting finish will make them look brand new. Perfect for a quick DIY job, this is the perfect solution if you’re not too keen on spending a lot of money on cabinet paint.
4. Best Alkyd: Behr Premium Hybrid Urethane Alkyd Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint
If you’re looking for a tough, long-lasting paint that provides an attractive glossy finish, Alkyd Behr Premium Hybrid Urethane Alkyd Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint is the perfect option.
It uses fewer solvents and emissions during the manufacturing process, making it environmentally friendly. Moreover, its wide range of colors makes it easy to find the right one for your home.
5. Best Oil-Based: Behr Oil-Base Semi-Gloss Enamel Interior/Exterior Paint
Looking for a paint that is both durable and environmentally friendly? Look no further than the best oil-based Behr semi-gloss enamel interior/exterior paint.
This product is designed for use on exterior and interior surfaces, features a semi-gloss finish, and is low in VOCs – making it safe to use indoors. Once applied, it will last years without any need for touch-ups or repainting.
Read Also: Garage Interior Design
Step-by-Step Guide to Painting Garage Cabinets
Here is a step-by-step guide to painting your garage cabinets:
- Apply the first coat of paint using a paintbrush or roller. Start at the top and work your way down.
- Let the first coat dry completely before applying the second coat.
- Sand the surface lightly between coats to ensure a smooth finish.
- Apply the second coat of paint and let it dry completely.
- Once the cabinets are dry, reattach the hardware and organize your items back into the cabinets.
Tips for applying garage cabinet paint
If you’re planning on painting your garage cabinet paint ideas, make sure to follow these simple tips. First, make sure the surface is clean and free of any dust or dirt. This will help the paint go on evenly and prevent any problems later on.
Next, primer is necessary before painting. This will help the paint to stick to the wood and reduce the risk of it peeling or bubbling.
Finally, use spray paint that’s specifically designed for cabinets – this will help to reduce crystallization and warping while drying.
And last but not least, allow the paint to dry completely before adding any decorations or stickers. Once you’ve followed these simple tips, your cabinets will look gorgeous!
Choose the right color
When choosing the right garage color ideas for your home, it’s important to start by assessing the room and its décor. Once you have chosen a color, make sure it matches other elements in the room such as furniture and decorations.
If you are painting a garage cabinet paint ideas or any other surface, be sure to choose a paint that is easy to clean – otherwise, all your hard work will go down the drain!
Finally, let the paint dry completely before starting any renovations or changes. This way there won’t be any messy surprises later on when everything starts coming undone!
Prep your cabinet correctly
When painting your cabinet, make sure you prep the surface correctly. Clean it and dry it completely beforehand so that the paint will stick better.
Choose a color that is complementary to the décor in your garage – this way, the whole room will look cohesive. Finally, use high-quality spray paint specifically designed for cabinets so that the finish looks perfect.
A garage cabinet paint ideas can be a great place to store your tools and other equipment, but it can also be a beautiful focal point of your home.
If you’re looking for a fresh and stylish way to spruce up your garage, check out the 5 gorgeous paint ideas featured in this blog. From natural colors to trendy patterns, there’s something for everyone in this roundup!